You’re probably here because you want to know more about me… I hardly ever know what to say in these sections of any site, so I figured I would just make one about me page and refer back to it when needed. I’m a little OCD, so bear with me as this page will probably be tweaked constantly [updated: 08.15.2012].
I was born in mid-northern California, & adopted at the age of one month. I only went to public school for Kindergarten and First Grade, after which I was Home-Schooled. When I was six my parents adopted my little brother (four years younger), Shaun. I spent most of my childhood moving, by the time I was ten I had already moved a dozen or-so times. About a month after I turned ten, my family moved from sunny California across the country to New York. It wasn’t until my Sophomore year that I returned to public schools, that was an interesting transition. I’ve been in New York since then, always dreaming of moving back to California. I take yearly trips out there to visit my friends and family.
I wasn’t a very artistic child, my dad has worked at Xerox my whole life and I followed in his techie footsteps. Most of my life, I thought I was going to work with computers, probably one of the IT guys. I have always appreciated art, but didn’t get into it until the end of 2010. That fall, my dad was going on a hike in Watkins Glen; he invited me to come along. I decided to take my Nikon Coolpix L18 [that I bought in ’08 for my trip out to California] with me to Watkins Glen. That was the start of it all… the start of my passion for photography. Since then, I haven’t been able to get enough.
You want to contact me? Hmm… how to go about that? There are plenty of ways to contact me… your best bet would be to comment on one of my posts here or send me a message on Facebook. I’m not as active as I used to be on Twitter, but you can try sending me a message there; there’s no guarantee I’ll get it quickly.
WANT TO KEEP UP?
Try following me on one of the social network links provided in the “My Internet Existence” section to the right, or right above the social network section there is a box for your email address to subscribe to this blog.
A BIT MORE ABOUT MY PHOTOGRAPHY
I got a later start than most people [I think], I was 27 at the time. It was initially just a hobby… but the more photos I took, and with all the positive feedback I’ve received, it made me want to pursue photography even more.
I learned about High Dynamic Range Photography shortly after I started taking photos… something I couldn’t do with my little point-and-shoot. I began looking at Digital SLR cameras, I wanted to capture stunning photos like some of the ones I had come across around the internet.
WHAT DOES HE LOOK LIKE?
I’m not one for self portraits, I don’t like the way most of them look. They never feel like they’re an accurate representation of me. I look very different between when I wake up, when I go out taking photos, hiking, geocaching, go to a bar/club, or whatever other adventure the day brings.
I guess I should oblige you since you’ve read this far. A bunch of family and friends think it’s a great picture… I guess? Maybe I’m not a fan because it’s a picture of me.
It was taken when I was all dressed up for a job interview. Not something I wear on a regular basis, but it was one of those times that I needed to look a bit more presentable than jeans and a t-shirt.
AWARDS AND STUFF
- Finalist in the Photographer’s Forum Best of College and High School 2012 photography competition.
- Used by the town of Perinton and Casa Larga Vineyards for the Perintion Bicentennial Celebration wine label and poster.
- Received Second Place in Photography at the Spring Arts Festival.
- Honorable Mention in Photography at the Spring Arts Festival.
- Was purchased by the faculty of Finger Lakes Community College; it will be on display around campus, and it will later be stored in the school archives.
BREAKDOWN OF ME
- Gender: Dude
- Name: Dave Reily
- Language: English
- Location: United States
- Sign: Cancer
Lots… but to narrow it down [a little], my favorites are
- Graphic Design
- Video Games – Android, PC, Xbox 360
Pretty much anything except bluegrass and country…
- Parkour [well, eventually… I’m working on it]
- Soccer [rarely]
- “Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.” – Confucius
- “You must be the change you want to see in the world.” – Gandhi
- “Mountain Dew: the breakfast of champions, gamers, programmers, and serial killers.” – Me
- “Life is like photography… we develop from the negatives.” – Unknown
- “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.” – Unknown
- “We are all a little weird and life is a little weird and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours and we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.” – Dr. Seuss
- “And if rain brings winds of change let it rain on us forever. I have no doubt from what I’ve seen that I have never wanted more. With this line I’ll mark the past as a symbol of beginning. I have no doubt from what I’ve seen that I have never wanted more.” VNV Nation – Solitary
- Batman [any]
- Chronicles of Narnia
- Doctor Who
- Donnie Darko
- Fight Club
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
- Harry Potter
- Invader Zim
- Let the Right One In
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist
- The Nightmare Before Christmas
- Office Space
- Pitch Black
- Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
- Stargate SG-1
- Stargate Atlantis
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Vampire Hunter D
- Walking Dead